Bears & Waves
A journey through the heart of Asturias
7 Days From €1620 per person
Walk, Ride, Paddle, Surf & Search For Wild Bears in Spain
This 7-day tour takes you on a journey through the heart of Asturias, from Somiedo Natural Park to the Cantabrian Coast. It’s the perfect opportunity to get to know firsthand the geographical contrasts of Asturias and to do it playfully: walking, riding, paddling, and surfing. And, of course, watching wild bears in the wild!
You will also have time to get to know the rich history that beats at every step, to meet and listen to the stories of the locals who maintain their traditional way of life, and, of course, to savor the gastronomic treasures of the region.
DAY 1: WELCOME TO ASTURIAS
Welcome to Asturias! Our local guide will be waiting for you at the airport to transfer you to Pola de Somiedo, in the heart of the natural park that will be the setting for our adventures in the following days.
Depending on your flight’s arrival time, we can enjoy a horseback riding tour in the afternoon after checking in at our hotel.
No time? Don’t worry: we will be able to do it in the following days. In the evening, we will have our first contact with the local gastronomy during dinner, a moment that we will also take advantage of for the briefing of the next day.
DAY 2: HIKING & BEAR SIGHTING
Today, we will get into one of the most beautiful valleys of the Natural Park of Somiedo: the Lake Valley.
It is a long but straightforward hike, but it reaches a spectacular lake of glacial origin as a reward. In the afternoon, it will be time for one of the program’s highlights: wildlife watching.
In bear season (spring and late summer), we will likely be able to observe them with the help of binoculars or the naked eye! from the observation points our specialized guides will take us to.
DAY 3: CAMINO REAL DE LA MESA (STAGE 1)
Today we are going for a walk. We will start the day with a transfer to the area of the Saliencia Valleys, one of the most beautiful high mountain lakes in Spain.
Depending on our desire to walk, we can do the shorter route (10 Km) or the longer one (20 Km). We will have the opportunity to enjoy high mountain landscapes dotted with ancient buildings where the “Vaqueiros de Alzada” used to live in summer.
At the end of the path, a transfer will take us to Teverga, where we will have time to rest our legs in the selected hotel.
DAY 4: CAMINO REAL DE LA MESA (STAGE 2)
We continue our adventure in the Camín Real de la Mesa. On horseback? Walking? Both? Either way, we will walk on a trail off the beaten path. And this path was once one of the busiest roads in northern Spain!
We are in a rather wild territory, where wolves roam freely in numerous herds (to the despair of the ranchers), bears make frequent incursions, and in mid-mountain landscapes, horses and cows are the real protagonists. If it is a clear day, maybe we can glimpse the Cantabrian Sea in the distance, our destination in a few days! This evening, we will have time to recharge our batteries with a good dinner with local products and maybe a relaxing spa bath!
DAY 5: BY THE RIVER AND BY THE COAST
Change of scenery. Today we paddle a section of one of the principal rivers of Asturias: The Nalón. It is a river of calm waters, which stands out for its soft and pastoral landscapes. So we will have time to have a picnic and -if time permits- even take a swim.
Upon arrival, we will be rewarded in a typical Asturian inn, perfect for regaining strength before checking into our hotel.
In the afternoon, we will enjoy a scenic walk along the “Ruta de Los Miradores,” overlooking the rugged coast of the Cantabrian Sea.
DAY 6: SURFING ASTURIAS
It’s surfing time! We have two options, depending on the weather, the state of the sea, and what you feel like doing:
Option 1: Ride the Pravia estuary on a Stand Up Paddleboard. A unique way to get to know the historical and industrial legacy of the area actively.
Option 2: Have you tried surfing? We can receive an initiation class that we assure you will make you have fun with the waves on this beach. In both cases, we will have the opportunity to finish the trip at sunset in one of Spain’s most beautiful fishing villages.
DAY 7: AIRPORT TRANSFER
Well, it’s all coming to an end. From the hotel, it is a concise transfer to the airport. So you will indeed have time to have breakfast and pack your bags calmly.
We hope you enjoyed this trip very much through the heart of Asturias.
Are you looking forward to more? We have several extensions in Asturias: Picos de Europa, gastronomic and cultural experiences.
We are ready to continue with you!
- Breakfast and dinner
- Certified hiking guide (1 day)
- First class or best available hotels in the area
- Guided canoe route
- Guided wildlife observation
- Horseback riding (1 day / 2 day optional)
- Medical insurance and emergency insurance
- Observation and participation in allowed activities
- Professionally guided tour
- Surf lesson (OR) SUP ride
- Trip organization and management
- Any change due to unexpected incidents
- Departure Taxes or Visa handling fees
- Excess baggage charge
- Personal expenses
- Services not specifically stated in the itinerary
- Single room subject to extra charges
- Tips to guide and driver
tour departure dates
- 6 May 2023
- 13 May 2023
- 20 May 2023
- 27 May 2023
- 3 June 2023
- 10 June 2023
- 17 June 2023
- 24 June 2023
- 2 September 2023
- 9 September 2023
- 16 September 2023
- 23 September 2023
- Activities during the itinerary: Hiking, horseback riding, canoeing, surfing / SUP.
- Daily elevation: Up to 600 m on the most demanding day.
- Daily distance: Up to 16 km on the longest day.
- Physical condition: Occasional sports practice.
- Type of terrain: Most trails are well conditioned. Sometimes, the presence of rocks and roots on the trail requires careful walking at certain steps.
- Hiking: Hiking can be adapted to all levels. The pace is always slow, and there are many rest stops, but be prepared for long days of up to 6 or 7 hours, at least one of the days.
- Horseback riding: Horseback riding (optional) does not require previous experience and can be adapted to the level of each client.
- Canoeing, surfing or SUP: Canoeing, surfing or SUP activities are suitable for all ages, including young children accompanied by adults.
- Seasons: May / June. September.
- Speaking guide: English / Spanish.
- Number of Days: 7
enquire about this tour
Are you interested in booking this tour? Contact us today and one of our friendly travel experts will gladly assist you.
This trip is a perfect opportunity to get to know firsthand the geographical contrasts of Asturias and to do it playfully: walking, riding, paddling, and surfing. And, of course, watching wild bears in the wild!